Thursday, November 8, 2007

Stuff I found this week

I found some cool things in and around work this week. On my morning walk on Tuesday, I found this nest on the sidewalk – it’s past nesting season, and it was there waiting to get squashed, so I didn’t feel too bad about taking it home. It’s fairly small -- it could have been made by a goldfinch, but I’m not sure. I’ll have to look it up.

Later that day, at a thrift sale at work, I got this neat ring

and put a bid on this print of what I think is a peony (my grandmother’s favorite flower). I found out on Wednesday that my bid for the print was successful. Here is the whole print, then a detail of the flower, then a detail of the leaves.

I also picked up this interesting wine cork

and a package of chenille stems (aka big, fancy pipe cleaners), with which I might make some flowers and these acorn cap dolls. So, I totally scored at the thrift sale!

Today, I picked up this glorious Jumbleberry Pie at a local small business that my friends and I frequent -- The Real Pie Company.

It is described as a “jumble of berries -- blackberries, blueberries, raspberries and cherries -- in a traditional (and all-butter) pie shell.” This is the second time I’ve tried this pie, and I love it even more the second time. It’s reminiscent of Marie Callender’s Razzleberry Pie, but a million times better. Ooooo, it seems blasphemous to even mention The Real Pie Company and a chain bakery in the same paragraph! You can tell that I love berries -- on the left side of the photo, you can catch a glimpse of the strawberry-print spoonrest on my stove.

No comments: