Wednesday, November 5, 2008

About yesterday

To paraphrase a Chris Rock quote that I saw in The Nation a few months ago: George Bush fucked up so badly that he made it hard for a white man to run for president. But seriously, I was a little verklempt last night. Did you see Jesse Jackson start to cry numerous times? I know that everyone has been saying it, but I didn't think that I would live to see this day. I always thought that the only way we would get a woman and/or a person of color as a president is if they were some right-wing wacko.

After eight years of:

  • the president and his neocon death cult puppeteers using the Constitution as toilet paper and giving the rest of the world the middle finger (a gross understatement when you consider the baseless, preemptive war in Iraq)
  • my fellow citizens scaring the crap out of me with their acceptance of creeping fascism
  • having our country ruled (not governed) by a dumb ass (is that one word or two? should it be hyphenated? But I digress ...)
... it's beyond refreshing to look forward to a president who is not only brilliant and believes in giving diplomacy a try, but who is also not an ignorant, arrogant bastard. A deep thinker as president? Wow, what a concept.

I tend to be pretty cynical, but I am so relieved that this country is starting what I hope is a U-turn.

Good night,
Sylvie

No comments: